Yes, there are hundreds of books on parenting…with content usually directed towards mothers. What about us dads? Try searching Google for “parenting for mothers” and 156 pages results pop up. Even doctors and child development experts focus their advice for moms. This blog is to serve every parent (okay, mainly us men), written by 2 new fathers who are trying to keep all of the info out there in bookstores and cyberspace in check. We are not experts, but our kids think we are the kings of the world. Enjoy!

Friday, March 5, 2010

Child in one hand, drink in the other

No, no...don't drink and parent...but keep in mind that you have to take time for yourself. Remember that if you aren't all there, it is tough to be there for your child. I think it is important to have that balance in your life, kid time, adult time, alone time, and most importantly sleepy time (sleepy time is a whole other subject...we'll save that for ABOW (another bottle of wine)). I fall into the trap of getting all my joy in life from my kid (and wife too!) but I have to take time for some of those things that make me, me. I enjoy wine. I enjoy drinking wine too!

As your child winds down for the evening and is playing with their food and discovering how fun it is to throw it down to the dog, a glass of wine, out of reach, in a non-breakable glass, while your significant other abstains (really??) your not operating heavy machinery, and all drugs have been administered to your child, is, in a word, bliss. I can still be an adult. I don't have to say "sippy cup" or "kid cup" or play games involving peeking around a corner. At that point its all about you....and the person you choose to spend the rest of your life with. It can pretty easily get forgotten really. As much as you care about your child and worry about every little thing, you have to take time for YOU.

2 comments:

  1. At what age wil I find this balance you speak of??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to make a conscious effort to reach that balance. I have to remind myself that if I don't take time and workout or read then I am not taking care of my mind and body, and it will be harder to take care of others in my life. Yes there are times you have to sacrifice, but don't get in a rut.

    ReplyDelete